For a number of people, the holiday period can intensify feelings of loneliness, increase financial worries and strain relationships..
Local emergency departments and staff can also feel the pressure, with increased accidents due to holiday makers travelling, outdoor activities and alcohol consumption playing their part.
It’s important that those who are struggling with the holiday season know how to get help and support, and also that members of the community look out for one another.
There are a number of places available to get help over the holiday season. These include:
Alternatives to hospital waiting rooms:
- Try your local GP clinic
- For after hours advice and support: 1800 022 222
- Nurse-on-call: 1300 60 60 24s
- Bendigo 24hr supercare pharmacy
- In a life threatening emergency always call 000
Online and phone support during a health crisis:
- The digital mental health gateway headtohealth.org.au
- StandBy 24/7 support number: 0439 173 310
- Lifeline: 13 11 14
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
- Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800
- Mental Health Crisis Line: 1300 783 347