COVID-19 and aged care
Older people are more at risk of contracting COVID-19 and experiencing serious illness. Aged care staff and managers along with families and friends of older people need to be vaccinated to protect these most vulnerable members of our communities.
Preparing for a COVID-19 or influenza outbreak
As the current wave of infections grows across the country, RACFs are reminded to ensure all staff understand how to activate your Outbreak Management Plan. More information can be found here.
Reporting COVID-19 cases
If a staff member or resident becomes positive with COVID-19 you must immediately:
- notify your state or territory health department and
- notify the Department of Health and Aged Care via the COVID-19 Support Portal, accessed via the My Aged Care provider portal. For more information on this process, please see the fact sheet, user guide and FAQs.
Recent enhancements to the Portal include a reduction in reporting fields and incorporation of PPE requests as part of outbreak notification.
- Click here to visit Murray PHN's COVID-19 resources page for links to other resources such as infection control training and how to use surgical masks.
- Click here for vaccination resources and any enquiries related to workforce vaccination can be emailed through to COVAX@murrayphn.org.au
- Click here for local COVID referral pathways and resources, including aged residential care assessment and management.
- Click here for information on ordering Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Click here to visit the Australian Government's website to access resources such as Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidelines for outbreaks in residential care facilities.
- Click here for a fact sheet on Australian Defence Force support to residential aged care facilities
- Click here to visit the Victorian Government's website to access resources such as the COVID-19 plan for the Victorian Aged Care sector and Care Plan for Suspected / Confirmed COVID-19 in aged care resident.
- Click here to visit NSW Health website to access resources such as Guidance for aged care facilities and a poster for aged care facilities.
Page last updated 2 August 2022