- This event has passed.
Part one: Basic principles of triage in general practice | Webinar
March 4 @ 12:30 pm - 1:30 pmFree
This three-part webinar series on Triage in General Practice will be held on Fridays 4, 11 and 18 March at 12.30pm – 1.30pm. Participants are encouraged to attend all three webinars; Part 1: Basic principles of triage in general practice, Part 2: Recognising and prioritising care using triage tools and practice-specific guidelines, and Part 3: Dealing with difficult and challenging behaviour in general practice.
Part 1: Basic principles of triage in general practice
Audience: Medical receptionists, practice managers, practice nurses, GPs and other health professionals.
Presenter: Wendy O’Meara, Associate Education Consultant, Larter
- Triage - what is it and why is it so important
- Different types of triage - face-to-face and telephone
- Importance of documentation of triage outcomes
- Appointment management to ensure access for urgent care
- Defining roles and responsibilities for triage in general practice (reception/ nurse/ GP)
- Meeting accreditation requirements and policies and procedures to ensure consistency
- Describe the basic principles of triage and the importance of appropriate appointment management and documentation
- Identify the need for robust practice ‘systems’ - policies, procedures and guidelines to support triage strategies for safety and quality
Presenter bio: Wendy has 18 years’ experience in general practice and is currently Senior Operations Manager in a 20 doctor general practice in Gisborne, Victoria. Wendy has worked in all aspects of general practice including reception, practice nursing and practice management, and has a strong, comprehensive understanding of all facets surrounding each area. She currently manages 15 reception/admin staff and five chronic disease nurses, and is responsible for IT, daily operations and induction and mentoring of new GPs and medical students. Wendy has been delivering triage workshops for Larter since 2017.