After hours and urgent care
If your local general practice isn't open or available and you need advice, or urgent but not emergency care, there are a range of in-person, online and telephone options available.
healthdirect GP advice and support line
If you need medical assistance after hours, call your local general practice clinic to see what after hours options are available. In an emergency always call 000. If your local practice isn't open, you can call the healthdirect GP advice and support line on 1800 022 222, which is available to people who live in a country area from:
- 6pm - 7.30am Monday to Friday
- midday on Saturday
- all day Sunday and on Public Holidays.
At the end of your call, you will be offered a care advice summary, sent to you by SMS or email, so you can easily recall the details of the advice given. You can also agree to have a summary of your call sent to your regular GP's practice overnight, so they're aware of the call when they open their practice the following day. The after hours GP helpline can also upload a summary of your call to your My Health Record.
healthdirect also have an online symptom checker and a national 'find a health service' directory available, click here for details.
If your organisation would like to display some of our after hours materials, click on the links to download:
Priority Primary Care Centres and Urgent Care Clinics
Priority Primary Care Centres (PPCCs) and Medicare Urgent Care Clinics (UCCs) work in partnership with their local emergency departments. They provide free care to patients, even those without a Medicare card, who need urgent but non-emergency care.
People do not need a referral to attend a PPCC or UCC.
*Hours are subject to change based on availability of workforce.
Priority Primary Care Centres:
- Bendigo - 121 Arnold Street, Monday to Sunday, 10am-6pm. To book an appointment call 03 5445 5690.
- Mildura - 137 Thirteenth Street, Monday and Friday, 9am-4.30pm and Saturday, 12-5.30pm. To book an appointment call 03 5022 5444.
- Wodonga - A & 2 White box Rise Shopping Centre, 81 Victoria Cross Parade, Monday to Friday, 8.30am-8pm and Saturday, 8.30am-4.30pm. To book an appointment call 02 6064 1900 or go online via HotDoc.
- Shepperton - 49 Graham Street, Monday to Sunday 8am-10pm. To book an appointment call 03 5823 3132 or go online via Shepparton Medical.
Click here for more details.
Urgent Care Clinics:
- Albury - 425 David Street, operating as Border Urgent Care Centre is open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm and Saturday and Sunday 10am to 2pm. To book an appointment call 02 6067 2810 or go online via HotDoc.
Click here for more details.
Nurse-on-call is available by calling 1300 60 60 24 and provides Victorians with health advice from a registered nurse, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Victorian Virtual Emergency Department
The Victorian Virtual Emergency Department enables people to connect with emergency doctors and nurses via a video call and receive medical advice for non-life-threatening emergencies, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Supercare Pharmacies in Bendigo, Shepparton and Mildura are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with a registered nurse on duty from 6-10pm, except for Mildura which is open daily from 7am-11pm.
If you require urgent primary care that can't wait until the next day and don’t have access to your regular GP after hours, visit a local Supercare Pharmacy - where a nurse or pharmacist can arrange for you to have a video consultation with a GP if needed.
Page last updated 1 November 2023