Murray PHN is working to improve the integration and coordination of alcohol and other drug (AOD) services across our region.
Our focus is to improve workforce development for primary health workers, through education around screening, harm reduction and brief interventions related to risky licit and illicit drug use.
In addition, the workforce needs support with providing meaningful responses to people with co-occurring AOD and mental health concerns, addressing stigmatisation, cultural differences and gaining consumer participation.
In our region we know that:
- smoking rates are 26% above the state average
- alcohol consumption for increased lifetime risk of alcohol related harm is 6.5% above the Victorian average
- Emergency department presentations for co-occurring AOD and mental health disorders are higher than the Victorian average.
- Murray Exchange: Alcohol and other drugs by Murray PHN Local Government Areas (2014/15)
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: Alcohol and other drug treatment services in Australia 2016-17: key findings report
- Turning Point and Ambulance Victoria: Ambo-AODstats
- Australia Bureau of Statistics: 4808.0 - Illicit Drug Use, Sources of Australian Data, 2001
- Australia Bureau of Statistics: Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas 2011
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: Exploring drug treatment and homelessness in Australia 2011-2014
Resources for health professionals
- VAADA: Capacity Building and Change Managment - a guide for Community Services
- Intergovernmental Committee on Drugs: National Alcohol and Other Drugs Workforce Development Strategy 2015-2018
- Department of Health: guidelines on the management of co-occuring alcohol and other drug and mental health conditions in alcohol and other drug treatment settings (second edition, 2016)
Resources for consumers
- Department of Health and Human Services: Victorian AOD Client Charter brochure (2011)
- Department of Health and Human Services: How alcohol and other drug treatment services work - and where to go for help
- Department of Health and Human Services: Not happy with an alcohol and other drug treatment service? Make a complaint - get support
- Department of Health and Human Services: (Poster) Need help with an alcohol and other drug problem?