1. Program governance and risk management (Option - program management)
- RACGP Standards for General Practice - GP Standard 4 Reducing the Risk of Infection
- RACGP Standards for General Practice - Core Standard 3 Practice Governance and Management
- RACGP Standards for General Practice - Quality Improvement (QI) Standard 3 Clinical Risk Management
- RACGP Standards for General Practice - Core Standard 3.1C Business Operations System
- Australian Infection Control Guidelines - 4.1 Management and Clinical Governance
- ACSQHC Risk Management Approach
- ACSQHC Using the Hierarchy of Controls in Infection Prevention and Control Systems to Identify and Manage Infection Risks Fact Sheet
- RACGP|APNA Infection Prevention and Control Guidelines 1. Risk Assessment and Planning
- ACSQHC COVID-19: Infection Prevention and Control Risk Management
- ACIPC Position Statement - IPC workforce guidance
- RACGP Infection Prevention and Control Guidelines - Clinical Handover
- Vic Health COVID-19 Infection Prevention and Control Guidelines
Professional development, education and training opportunities
- Australian Infection Control Guidelines - 4.3 Education and Training
- RACGP Infection Prevention and Control Guidelines - Education and Training
- ACIPC Foundations of Infection Prevention and Control Course
- Australian College of Nursing Principles of Infection Control Course
- Griffith University Graduate Certificate in Infection Prevention and Control
- James Cook University Graduate Certificate of Infection Control
- The University of Adelaide Graduate Certificate in Nursing Science (Infection Control Nursing)
- The University of Newcastle NURS6650 Infection Control
- ACIPC Position Statement - Credentialling for IPC professionals
The Commission provides a range of eLearning modules free of charge to support health service and aged care organisations to implement infection prevention and control and hand hygiene workforce training. These include:
- Basics of Infection Prevention and Control
- Hand Hygiene for Clinical Healthcare Workers
- Hand Hygiene for Non-Clinical Healthcare Workers
- Hand Dermatitis
- Principles of infection prevention and control - Provides an understanding of the basic principles of infection prevention and control. Content includes healthcare-associated infections, colonisation and infection, standard precautions, transmission-based precautions, use and management of invasive devices and antimicrobial stewardship.
- Risk management of infectious agents and infectious diseases - Provides an understanding of risk management systems and the use of the hierarchy of controls in infection prevention and control to help minimise the risk of infection in healthcare settings.
- Basic microbiology and multidrug-resistant organisms (MRO) - Provides an understanding of basic microbiology and the key infectious agents involved in causing infections and disease in health care.
- Clean and safe healthcare environment - Provides an understanding of the role of environmental cleaning in reducing the transmission of infectious agents, risk assessment in environmental cleaning, environmental cleaning processes and product selection, safe linen and waste management, cleaning programs and auditing environmental cleaning. This module is also suitable for cleaning staff and cleaning supervisors.
- Preventing and managing occupational exposure - Provides an understanding of the basic principles required to assess, prevent, manage, and follow up healthcare workers who are occupationally exposed to blood/body fluids and infectious agents.
- Basics of surveillance and quality improvement - Provides an understanding of surveillance in infection prevention and control, components of an infection surveillance program, the national systems for infection surveillance, and quality improvement in infection prevention and control.
- Epidemiology and outbreak prevention and management - Provides an understanding of the role of epidemiology in infection prevention and control, using epidemiological methods to describe the amount of disease in a population, using epidemiological methods to identify outbreaks, the key aspects of outbreak prevention and control plans, the formation of outbreak management teams, outbreak management strategies, and the elements of an outbreak response.
- Health workforce screening and immunisation for vaccine-preventable diseases - Provides an understanding of the basic principles of health workforce screening and immunisation for vaccine-preventable diseases, governance systems to support health workforce screening and immunisation programs, as well as the strategies to assess, prevent and manage the risk of vaccine-preventable diseases. This module is also suitable for staff health practitioners.
- Introduction to reprocessing reusable medical devices - Provides an understanding of the requirements of the NSQHS Standards for reusable medical devices, the three main reprocessing methods, the factors that influence the effectiveness of reprocessing, and how to manage risks associated with reprocessing.
- Renovation, repairs and redevelopment risk management - Provides an understanding of the infection risks associated with building works, repairs, and ongoing maintenance in a healthcare organisation and how these risks can be managed to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. Note: This module will be updated 2023–24 in line with the updated Australasian Health Facility Guidelines.
- Chain of infection
- Standard Precautions
- Transmission-Based Precautions
- Hand Hygiene
- Waste and Linen Management
- Environmental Cleaning
- Aseptic Technique
- Single-Use Items, Disinfection and Sterilisation
- Respiratory Hygiene and Cough Etiquette
- Healthcare Associated Infections
- Chain of infection
- Hand hygiene
- Personal protective equipment
- Waste disposal
- Working in an outbreak
- Motivation Australia Infection Control for Health Professionals
- CDC Training and Education Resources
- CDC /STRIVE Infection Control Training
- ACIPC Blood Borne Virus Testing Course
- SHEA/CDC Outbreak Response Training Program (ORTP)
- APIC Education
- WHO Online IPC Training
- RACGP Emergency Response Planning Tool
- ACIPC Position Statement Animals in Healthcare Facilities
Page last updated 9 February 2024