9. Reprocessing of reusable medical devices and single use
- RACGP Standards for General Practice - GP Standard Criterion GP4.1 Infection Prevention and Control, including Sterilisation
- AS 5369:2023 Reprocessing of reusable medical devices in health and non-health related facilities
- AS 2773 Ultrasonic Cleaners for Health Service Organisations
- AS 5330 Drying Cabinets for Reusable Medical Devices
- ISO 15883 (series) Washer-Disinfectors
- ISO 43187 Sterilization of Health Care Products - Moist Heat
- ISO 17664 Processing of Health Care Products - Information to be Provided by the Medical Device Manufacturer for the Processing of Medical Devices
- EN 13060 Small Steam Sterilizers
- EN 868 (series) Packaging Materials and Systems for Medical Devices which are to be Sterilized
- Australian Guidelines for the Prevention and Control of Infection in Healthcare - Reprocessing RMD
- RACGP|APNA Infection Prevention and Control Guidelines - Reprocessing RMD
- CDC Guidelines for Environmental Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities
- CDC Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities
Professional development, education and training opportunities
- The Selection and Use of Disinfectant Wipes. RCN Guidance
- ACIPC Position Statement - Single Use Items
- TGA Disinfectants and Sterilants Guidance
- Introduction to reprocessing reusable medical devices - Provides an understanding of the requirements of the NSQHS Standards for reusable medical devices, the three main reprocessing methods, the factors that influence the effectiveness of reprocessing, and how to manage risks associated with reprocessing.
- Single-Use Items, Disinfection and Sterilisation
Disinfection and sterilisation practices within small practices and clinics are covered by Australian Standard AS/NZS 4815. This program equips you with the skills and understanding to comply with this Standard. Recommended for those wanting to demonstrate compliance for accreditation purposes in small practices and clinics. An introductory session on micro-organisms, transmission of infection and the use of standard precautions sets the scene for applying AS/NZS 4815 in the workplace. Participants will discuss the appropriate physical layout of an area for dealing with reusable items that complies with the requirements and application of AS/NZS 4815.
This course addresses the needs of the senior staff who wish to enhance and improve their knowledge in monitoring and validation for steam sterilising and associated equipment. This course has been specifically tailored for the Senior Sterilising Technicians and Sterilising Department Managers.
An ideal introductory course for newly employed sterilising services staff or anyone with responsibility for reprocessing reusable medical devices. This course is also suitable for people preparing to gain employment in a sterilising services environment.
A nationally recognised Certificate III in Sterilisation Services is an appropriate baseline qualification for people who would like to work in sterilising facilities. It’s also suitable for staff involved in the preparation and sterilisation of reusable medical and surgical equipment or the preparation and sterilisation of textile packs for use in health care facilities.
This qualification is for individuals who would like to work in sterilisation services or who are already working in sterilisation and reprocessing of instruments within a hospital health service and would like to upskill themselves to work as a Team Leader / Senior Technician.
Page last updated 9 February 2024