Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS)
MBS Online contains the Medicare Benefits Schedule, a listing of the Medicare services subsidised by the Australian Government. The schedule is part of the wider Medicare Benefits Scheme managed by the Department of Health and administered by Department of Human Services.
This webpage aims to provide general practice staff with a quick guide of relevant MBS related information. For a comprehensive explanation of MBS Item Numbers and claiming complexities, click here to visit MBS online.
- MBS for item numbers or key word search
- Printable reference tables and scenarios for Bulk Billing item numbers in General Practice (1 November 2023) from MBS
- Printable Australian Doctor December 2023 MBS quick guide
- Printable Australian Doctor December 2023 quick guide for COVID-19 and telehealth
- MyMedicare resources
Latest news and information
Links of interest
- MBS e-learning and practice posters
- Practice Incentives Program (PIP): to be eligible to participate in the PIP, a practice must be accredited or registered for accreditation, against the RACGP Standards for general practices. Practices must achieve full accreditation within 12 months of joining the PIP and maintain full accreditation thereafter.
- Workforce Incentive Program (WIP): the WIP improves access to quality medical, nursing and allied health services in regional, rural and remote areas. Its financial incentives encourage doctors to work in these areas and support medical practices to employ nurses and eligible allied health professionals.
- Health Professional Online Services (HPOS): an online, secure portal developed by the Commonwealth Department of Human Services. It is the way healthcare professionals and administrators interact electronically with the department. General practices use HPOS to manage various aspects of their practice business, including access to My Health Record and service payments. Click here for MBS HPOS e-learning and practice posters.
- MBS chronic disease management overview and case studies: for treating patients with complex care needs requiring multidisciplinary care
- MBS mental health and eating disorders: e-learning and practice posters
- MBS Indigenous health services: e-learning, practice posters and simulations
The 'AskMBS' advice email service is also available for MBS item number enquiries. It provides a great service, as clinics will receive replies in writing: email@example.com
If you have any enquiries, or would like to provide feedback regarding the information on this page, please contact the Digital Health Team firstname.lastname@example.org or your general practice Quality Improvement Consultant email@example.com
While reasonable efforts have been made to ensure that the contents of this page are factually correct, this (including any hyperlinks and documents) is provided by Murray PHN on a general basis only. Please refer to the Medicare Benefits Schedule online at mbsonline.gov.au for further information and comprehensive descriptions as claiming conditions may apply.
Page last updated 4 December 2023